What Is an Essay
It is not uncommon in the life of a modern person to have to write an essay. There is no need to be afraid of it. The main thing is not just to cover the topic, but to do it in an interesting way, trying to capture the reader’s attention from the first sentence.
So what is an essay
Before proceeding with the assignment, it is necessary to understand what an essay is and what are its fundamental differences from other types of creative writing. Let’s start with a definition. An essay is a genre of literary prose of small volume and free composition. The essay of this type conveys an individual impression or opinion of the author relating to a certain topic.
Types of essays
Depending on the content, form and style of presentation, literary theorists distinguish different types of essays:
- fiction, history, spiritual-religious;
- stories, letters, diaries, reviews, notes, miniatures;
- descriptive, narrative, critical, analytical;
- subjective, objective.
The boundaries of the essay as a genre are conditional, so to disclose the topic the author can use a free style of presentation, sharing impressions and judgments about a particular phenomenon, subject or global trends, large-scale events.
Characteristic features of the genre
The essay is distinguished from other types of works by its specific characteristics.
- Acute topicality of the topic. The issues raised must be relevant here and now.
- Subjectivity of the judgement. In the essay, the personality of the author must be clearly expressed through his or her attitudes and individualised evaluations.
- A narrative that moves from the particular to the general. Often a quote plays the role of point of departure, which can be included as an epigraph. From a single case, the author gradually moves on to a generalising analytical or philosophical discourse about the problem posed at the beginning of the essay. Due to the lack of writing standards, the composition can also be in reverse – from global conclusions to confirming them in the finale with a parable, proverb, a wise quotation from a classic, an indisputable fact.
- A short length. How long is an essay? There are no strict limits; however, essays are usually two to ten pages long.
- Specificity. Within the essay, only one issue is addressed – there cannot be a multitude of topics or ideas.
- Free composition. This type of essay does not tolerate any formal framework. Often the narration is illogical, subject to random associations, the semantic connections are thought out by the author himself/herself.
- Tendency to paradoxes. One of the tasks of the essay genre is to surprise, amaze the reader. Often, a bright, witty statement or polemical definition that sets the tone for the rest of the story becomes a starting point for reflection.
- An open-ended narrative. There should be no obscure terms and no unnecessarily complicated constructions in the text. The author should try to gain the confidence and sympathy of the reader, entice with simple and capacious phrases and sentences.
- Dialogicality. Conversation with the reader does not imply framing the essay in the form of replicas, as it is done in the drama. In order to achieve the effect of a polemical conversation, rhetorical questions are often used, which require a mental answer that does not always coincide with the one offered by the author.
- Meaningful unity. In spite of the compositional freedom, the key theses and arguments must be consistent and not contradict the judgements expressing the author’s personal position. So you need to know what is a thesis in an essay.
How to write an essay
The main condition for writing a good essay is a fluent mastery of the topic. After all, the author will have to express his or her own point of view, reason, and draw conclusions. In order to structure the work logically, the first thing to do is to think about the outline of the essay. It usually consists of separate brief theses on a given topic, which as they are disclosed should be argued and supported by evidence. The only formal requirement to be adhered to when writing an essay is to have a heading. When giving in to the creation, you should not forget that the author’s task is to convince the audience of the validity of the proposed point of view, so the argumentation should be as weighty and illustrative as possible.
The rules of essay writing are very conditional, which gives the author an opportunity to fully demonstrate creativity, irregularity and flexibility of thinking, the ability to present ideas in writing and convincingly argue their own point of view. All this is highly appreciated not only by teachers of any language or literature, but also by employers, and it is no coincidence that candidates for responsible positions are asked to write an essay before an interview. If you want the perfect essay, use the website by this link.